Post AGM Update
A week on from the AGM and things are stirring! The rather gloomy outlook has given way to sunnier skies with the following developments:
- Our very own “ginger prince” Beefy, aka Tony Alborough, has put himself forward to skipper the B Team. The experienced former 1st team skipper and club stalwart (2nd in the appearance list behind me) will, I’m sure, be a popular choice !
- Clive Rennie (Captain) & Duncan Greenslade (Manager) have offered to run the C Team. They are keen to see it as a development (Colts) team and I have already approached the NCL to ask about the possibility of the C’s dropping down a level. The league are looking at the final structure in early February and will consider our proposal then.
- Finally, Peter Hunt (Captain) and Kannan Kuppusamy (Manager) have offered to be in charge of the Sunday Friendly Team. Kannan did an excellent job managing the U11s last summer while Peter is another who gets on well with youngsters and adults alike.
These appointments just need to be ratified by the executive Committee but it looks like we were justified in delaying a final decision on the C and Sunday A Teams. With the doubt removed and a full team of ‘officers’ in place, hopefully it will galvanise players to want to turn out regularly in our senior sides. We also hope to see a few new additions before the season starts.
Other developments since the AGM are:
- The Club has had an approach from Andrew Fearne, a Professor at the UEA Business School and former Head Coach and Manager of the Kent Disability Squad. Andrew, has a 16-year-old son with Downs Syndrome and is interested in finding a sympathetic club with which to develop disability cricket. The NCB has recommended us. Disability coaching is about the only thing GMCC don’t do but it is something several of our coaches have expressed an interest in, so we’ve invited Andrew to attend our next Junior Committee Meeting. We’ll see what develops.
- I met today with David Bills, Chairman of the Northern Rivers Valley area and South Norfolk Councillor for Hethersett Ward. Bill was very encouraging regarding possible funding for the girls’ toilet project and gave me some ideas of bodies to apply to with regard to the nets. We now need to finish the kitchen and obtain some new quotes for the other projects.
It’s been a week of good news. Onwards and upwards!