Great Melton’s Junior Cricket Coaching programme starts on Friday 21st April for youngsters aged 6-13 (girls up to 15) i.e. in school years 2-8 (girls 2-10). The sessions are from 6.30 to 8.00 p.m. but it is a good idea to arrive early for the first session in order to register, pay fees etc.
Registration is carried out in the pavilion. To save time the Junior Registration Form, which has been sent out to all last year’s parents & parents of any known new recruits, can be printed off and brought along to the first session. Copies of the club’s Codes of Conduct for Members & Guests and Young People have also been sent out so these can be read in advance (there is a tick-box on the form to confirm that these have been read – all a necessary part of our ’Safeguarding’ procedures). Click on the links below to access these documents.
Coaching for U15s is on Tuesday evenings from 6.30-8.00 while older juniors (U17s) will join in practice sessions with the seniors, also on Tuesdays. There are separate Thursday evening sessions for women & older girls.
The Junior Subscription is £5 and the fees for this season’s Friday sessions are £28 (Total = £33). Coaching fees for the U15 Tuesday sessions are £14.00 which reflects the different nature of the sessions (more practise than coaching) and the fact that there are fewer sessions because of other commitments (exams, midweek matches etc.) Families with more than one child get a £5 discount per additional child. Sounds complicated but it means that a family with 2 children, one in the U11 age group (paying £33) and one in the U15 age group (paying £19) will actually pay £47 for both (having deducted the £5 discount). Fees can be paid by cash or cheque.
This season there will be a ‘cap’ on numbers so groups don’t become unwieldy.
As a reminder to present members and for any newcomers please note the following:
- Suitable clothing should be worn i.e. cricket whites (club kit can be purchased on-line from Wintech) or tracksuit/shorts/polo shirt. Spikes are not allowed on the artificial surfaces so trainers should be worn. A cricket sweater/hoodie/sweatshirt is advisable as it’s often cold in early season at Melton Park!
- Youngsters should have hats, sun cream and water when the weather is hot, although water & other drinks are available in the clubroom.
- Safety is paramount so please be aware:
- Car Parking is an issue sometimes. Coaches and other officials are advised to park on the small grassed area opposite the ground (next to Garden House). Parents, please park sensibly & safely.
- Parents, you are very welcome to watch your sons/daughters being coached but please stick to the perimeters of the ground, don’t wander across the field when practises are going on or congregate by the (now) rather sad-looking oak tree!
- Youngsters practising prior to the sessions starting should do so well away from the pavilion where spectators congregate.
Finally, we are looking to set up a rota of parents to help out with the barbecue on Fridays. If you’re willing to do the occasional Friday during the season please sign-up when you register (Celia Phoenix and Jill Hustler will have a list of dates).
See you soon.